An Armenian Parable (On Selfishness and Envy)

A while back my father shared an Armenian parable with me that describes fairly effectively the dominant attitude of the Armenian community.

One day God approaches a man and says "Ask me for anything you want, anything you desire, land, love, wealth, anything at all, and I will grant it. But know that whatever I give to you, I will give doubly to your neighbor."

The man stands in contemplation, considers his options, and responds "Take one of my eyes."

I take this story to heart. There is something very nasty about this sort of behavior; insidious and dangerous. I would like to think that we as humans are more refined than "fuck thy neighbor," but the evidence is piling up is proving otherwise.

This mentality is a poison that is very destructive if unchecked, and so pervasive in Armenia that the need to outdo each in clothes, cars, and money have become the definition of status and power, and the aspirations for a whole generation.

This has become increasingly common in the United States as well. I see it in popular culture, hiding in plain sight, indoctrinating our youth to the idea that looking down on others makes you a better person, that being selfishness and embracing envy can have positive consequences.

I am saddened at the loss of what could have been. I am distraught at the thought of what will be.

I have no answer as to how to fight against this tide. Maybe the solution is to stand my ground, let the tide rise and fall against me, and see if I remain standing, hoping others will do the same.

Comments

Popular Posts