A Good Man Remembered (On the Impact of Acquaintance)

The experiences we acquire over a lifetime are hard to express, and we seldom completely understand the impact they may have on our lives. This is especially true for the people who weave in and out of our lives, our friends, family, acquaintances and enemies, sometimes forgetting their names even as their actions affect us.

Robert was a friend of my fathers. They had known each other for many years. During Armenia's time as a communist republic he was responsible for cultural affairs, creating dialogue and exchanges with other nations. He was a proud man, intelligent and respected, with a strong sense of humor and a high amount of loyalty. 

I was introduced to Robert during a trip to Armenia prior to my moving there. He was immediately accommodating, extending extra courtesy because I was his good friends son. When I moved to Armenia he ensured my transition was to my new environment was made with ease. He invited me to cultural events, introduced me to his family, and provided me assistance where I would otherwise be completely alone. 

He was an avid chess player, who used methods of verbal distraction to try to gain advantage over his opponents. He would challenge my brother and myself often, a request we would gladly acquiesce to given the humor of his foul worded assaults.

The last time I spoke with Robert was in the winter of my first year in Armenia. He and I traveled to the open air bazaar. I was looking for books on Armenian fables and fairy tales, one of which he purchased for me as a gift. 

After the New Year I was informed that Robert had died of a heart attack.

I think about Robert now, given this New Year. I reflect upon who he was and he was, how he helped shape my experience abroad. I keep the book he gave as symbol of his kindness, a kindness I try to emulate and offer others. 

People come and go, usually with ease, sometimes pleasant, sometimes painful, often both, though never without impact, major or minor. 

Comments

Popular Posts